Mother Cabrini was born Maria Francesca Cabrini in July 1850 in Lombardy, Italy. In 1889, under the direction of Pope Leo XIII, Mother Cabrini traveled to America to help underserved Italian immigrants. She proceeded to found schools, orphanages, hospitals and social services institutions to serve the needs of immigrants in the United States and other parts of the world. Mother Cabrini crossed the ocean 25 times during 29 years of missionary work, and with her sisters founded 67 institutions in nine countries on three continents.
Mother Cabrini died in 1917 and was canonized in 1946 as the "first American saint." She was officially declared the Universal Patroness of Immigrants by the Vatican in 1950.
In Chicago, Mother Cabrini founded Columbus Hospital in 1905 and the Columbus Hospital Western Annex at 1200 W. Gilpin Place (our building) in 1910. The hospital eventually became named Mother Cabrini Hospital and Gilpin Place was renamed Cabrini Street in her honor. The hospital east wing was built in 1910 and the western wing was built in 1962. It was a 211-bed hospital until its closing in 1995.
811 S. Lytle Street
Chicago, IL 60607